To support the integration, we will be using the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on, available from the Home Assistant community add-on store. This add-on includes the Z-Wave JS Server as part of the Z-Wave JS to MQTT application and despite the name, MQTT is not required to run it.
The Z-Wave network can be configured via the Z-Wave JS Control Panel built into Home Assistant but the benefit of using the Z-Wave JS to MQTT add-on is that it also exposes an additional, more advanced control panel, which offers wider network configuration options and diagnostic tools.
- Home Assistant OS running on a Raspberry Pi (3 and above) or similar
- You will also need an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+, Z-Wave.me UZB1 or other compatible Z-Wave stick or module installed.
Software Versions Used in this Guide
- Home Assistant OS version 2021.7.3
- Z-Wave JS to MQTT version 0.22.1
- Supervisor version 2021.06.8 (stable)